Home Maintenance Tip
Keep Cool this Summer with Preventative Maintenance
Here are a few things that most homeowners can do themselves to help maintain their air conditioner:
- Ensure the filter is clean and/or replaced regularly. Disposable filters are inexpensive and should be replaced once per month during periods of high usage.
- Trim back plants so there is at least one foot of clearance around the A/C unit - this will allow proper air flow and prevent motor strain.
- Sand and other debris can get sucked into the condenser coils. To clean the coils, first disconnect the power to the A/C and then use a garden hose to spray the coils.
Have an annual maintenance inspection performed by a professional HVAC Technician.
- Condenser - Check pressure, oil the motor bearings, tighten all hardware, check current electrical draw, and visually inspect wiring and condenser coils.
- Air Handler/Evaporator - Visually inspect wiring; oil the motor bearings; clean or replace filter; tighten all hardware; inspect condensation drain, pan, pump, and auxiliary pan; clean drain system; ensure that evaporator coils are clean and free of damage.
With proper maintenance, the air conditioner should run smoothly for years.